I am Irish. I love Potatoes. I went to Morocco and they showed me how to make Moroccan Potato Cakes. I was so happy. Be happy like me, try this recipe (that rhymes 🙂 ) We ate these for breakfast when I was on a yoga retreat, they are so nourishing and delicious. These were a huge hit with everybody. We had a cookery lesson and once we learned how to make them I knew I had to share them in a blog.
What you’ll need to make ~ 4 potato cakes:
- 1 Medium potato (I use a rooster potato)
- 1 red onion
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp. of Paprika
- 1 Tsp. of Cumin,
- Pinch of Garlic powder
- 2 crushed garlic cloves
- Pinch of Ginger
- Pinch Of Salt and Pepper
- Few sprigs of Saffron (Substitute with a good pinch of Turmeric if you don’t have any saffron)
- A nice fist of fresh coriander and parsley (chopped very finely)
- Heaped Tsp. Of Plain Flour
- 1/3 cup of sunflower oil
This is the only picture that I have at the moment 😦
Grate the potato and red onion into a large bowl. Grate them on the smallest grater setting. Add in the eggs (which have been lightly whisked). Add in all the rest of the dry ingredients listed above and mix well. Add in the oil and ensure all ingredients are well mixed. Heat a small frying pan and add a dollop of oil and ladle the mixture in until it is evenly spread around the pan. When you see the cake starting to gently bubble on the side facing you flip it and wait till other side is nicely browned. Repeat. If you want you can keep the warm in the oven until serving. These taste really good even when they are heated up so you can make batches of them and take them into work with yourself and a Moroccan breakfast siesta feast!
- Serve with poached eggs and bacon.
- Boiled eggs sliced in halves and sprinkled with pink rock salt and cumin.
- Feta cheese and Mushrooms.
- Delicious eaten cold dipped in natural yogurt.
- Eat them by themselves (YUM!!!!)
For more information on cookery holidays/yoga hoildays available in Morocco go to http://www.bessahaholiday.com or check them out on Facebook at Bessha Hoildays. Mention this Blog and you can avail of a special offer 🙂